Administering Organization: Triangle Community Foundation
The purpose of the Felicia Brewer Opportunity Scholarship is to create a life-transforming opportunity for immigrant or first generation students who have overcome significant adversity, giving them the opportunity to pursue their dreams and improve their lives through education or training. The Scholarship will be awarded to students who have attended a Chapel Hill –Carrboro City Schools district high school. The Fund has been created in memory of Felice (Felicia) Berkman Brewer by her father-in-law, Donald Brewer.
To receive the Felicia Brewer Opportunity Scholarship, a student must:
- Have attended a Chapel Hill – Carrboro City Schools district high school for a minimum of one school year, or be scheduled to complete a minimum of one year at the end of the current academic year.
- Be a high school graduate or scheduled to become a high school graduate in the year of the application, or have completed and received a GED.
- Be an immigrant to the United States who came to the country with or without parents or a first generation United States citizen of immigrant parents or guardians. Applicants may be documented or undocumented immigrants.
- Have overcome significant adversity to pursue educational goals. Examples of adversity include but are not limited to: escaping a dangerous life from home country, torture, learning English as a second language, poverty, being required by parents or guardians to work to help support the family, abuse in the family, substance abuse, physical or mental handicaps.
- Demonstrate financial need through financial information documentation.
- Provide a completed Felicia Brewer Opportunity Scholarship application and required forms and paperwork.
- Have been accepted into an accredited college, university, community college, or trade school.
- Students currently attending a college or university for undergraduate studies, community college, or trade school who meet all other criteria are eligible to apply.
- Applicants may be documented or undocumented immigrants.
- Students studying in the US as part of an exchange program or the children of parents in an exchange program are not eligible.
- Family members of Triangle Community Foundation or members of the Selection Committee are not eligible to apply.
All application materials will be kept confidential. Materials will only be shared with members of the scholarship selection committee.
Up to $20,000 per year for four years. Total awards will not exceed $80,000.
February 28, 2018
How To Apply
Application forms must be submitted using the Foundation’s online system. You will be prompted to create a profile, upload a completed application form and attachments, and provide the name and email address of your recommender. Recommenders will be notified by email through the system and will be asked to submit their recommendations online on or before February 28th, so we encourage you to start your online application as soon as possible. Transcripts must be uploaded online or postmarked by February 28th and mailed to:
Triangle Community Foundation
Attn: Felicia Brewer Opportunity Scholarship
PO Box 12729
Durham, NC 27709
Please note that only complete applications submitted through the online system will be accepted. If you have questions regarding the application please contact us prior to the application deadline.‹ Back to Scholarships