Administering Organization: First Presbyterian Church, Jacksonville, NC
The family of Ruby Ennis Maynard wishes to recognize and honor the contributions made by their mother as she encouraged and aided each of her children in their chosen careers and personal achievements.
As Ruby Ennis Maynard encouraged and aided her own children to pursue education for career goals and personal fulfillment, so shall this scholarship created in her honor aid deserving, mature, women to fulfill their educational goals.
The purposes of the Ruby Ennis Maynard Scholarship are:
- To provide educational opportunities for the mature woman who has been out of the workforce for a period of time, or who needs to upgrade her skills or education in order to succeed in her career, or who needs to change careers in order to improve her earning ability.
- To encourage women to strive to improve their lives, and consequently the lives of their children, through education
An Applicant must:
- Be female
- Be 17 years of age or older
- Have been a resident of Onslow County, North Carolina, for a minimum of 6 months
- Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment at an institution of learning which provides either degree or certificate programs, but may not be enrolled in graduate or post-graduate work in a college, university or seminary.
- Demonstrate that she has been out of the workforce for a period of time, or needs to upgrade her skills or education in order to succeed in her career, or needs to change careers in order to improve her earning ability.
- Demonstrate financial need
- Provide a letter of reference from an individual who knows the applicant, but is not related to the applicant. It is preferred, but not required that the letter be from a member of the clergy.
Preference will be given to applicants who:
- Are members of the First Presbyterian Church of Jacksonville, NC
- Are single, separated, divorced, widowed or head-of-household where the husband is unable to work.
- Are age 30 or older
How To Obtain An Application
The application form is available here, and should be completed and mailed to the address below.
A letter of recommendation from the applicant’s pastor, or another individual who is not a family member is also required.
All application material must be postmarked by May 15th. Send completed applications to:
Mrs. Mary Ellen Andrews
c/o First Presbyterian Church
400 N. Bayshore Blvd
Jacksonville, NC 28540