It’s a journey. In the fall of 2017, our Board of Directors approved a new strategic roadmap for the Foundation. Standing on the shoulders of those who built this organization, we recognize that there is an urgency for more – a stronger commitment to digging deeper and working with donors, nonprofits, and the community to make our region great, and we can’t afford to ignore this urgency. Our community needs us, and we are here to answer the call. We honor our legacy, and the forward-thinking leaders who brought us to this place, and we will take it with us into the future, of our organization, and of the Triangle. And we hope you’ll join us.
A vibrant Triangle that works together to ensure everyone thrives.
We inspire and mobilize giving, leadership, and action.
We value community. We are passionate about our region, we honor the diverse strengths, needs, voices, and backgrounds of all people in the Triangle, and we encourage collaboration, collective giving, and strive for togetherness.
We value equity. We strive for equity and focus on people who are marginalized in our region, we listen and learn with our community about the strengths and challenges here, and we recognize the importance of addressing immediate needs and structural barriers.
We value leadership. We embrace our role in tackling challenging issues that face our region, we invest in building strong, resilient leaders that reflect our community, and we use innovative approaches to activate resources and make a difference.
We value legacy. We commit to the lasting impact we are making today and for generations to come, we honor the gifts left by visionary and forward-thinking donors in our region and we encourage multi-generational giving, and we develop long-term, authentic relationships with all our partners.
- The Foundation was established in 1983 with a single gift of $1,000 by Dr. George Hitchings
- We define the Triangle as these four counties: Durham, Chatham, Orange, and Wake
- We manage over $209 million in assets with a long-term investment strategy that grows and protects these funds
- We steward 850 philanthropic funds, ranging in size and donor-driven initatives
- By partnering with our donors, in 2016 we invested more than $21 million to support nonprofit organizations and provide scholarships for individuals
- 79% of charitable grants stayed in North Carolina, 73% stayed in the Triangle
- Nearly $700,000 was awarded through Our Focus on the Arts, Community Development, Environmental Conservation, and Youth Literacy
* Financial Data as of June 30, 2016.