The Foundation offers many easy ways for you to give, get involved, and make a difference in our community. Our donors are a diverse group of passionate individuals who make up the Foundation family, and are dedicated to changing the landscape of our region for the better. Each of our donors has a unique story, vision or goal, but they all have one thing in common. They believe in the power of community giving, and we do too. Won’t you join us?
Open a Fund
We make it easy to establish a charitable fund that meets your personal needs. All you need is a simple fund agreement and your gift to open the fund. Most funds may be opened with a minimum gift of $10,000; to open a new scholarship, the minimum is $25,000. Your fund may be created with a current gift, or through a planned gift. Our professional staff is ready to meet with you to talk about your goals, and create a plan that matches your charitable interests and financial situation.
Types of Funds
Whatever your philanthropic goals, we have the flexibility and tools to help you reach them.
For Those Interested in Working Together to Create a Vibrant Triangle
- Fund for the Triangle – Support the critical needs in our community, now, and for the future, by choosing a fund option below that allows the Foundation to make the greatest impact for your donation in the arts, environment, youth literacy, and community development.
- Giving Circles – Pool your money with friends, like-minded individuals or colleagues, to open a fund and learn about community needs and decide as a group where to give grants. Several giving circles and committee-advised funds are operating currently at the Foundation.
For Donors Who would like to Support Organizations
- Field-of-Interest Fund – a permanent endowment for an issue you care about. The Foundation will carry out the purpose you choose, today and for generations to come. This is the best fund option to support the Fund for the Triangle.
- Designated Fund – created by the donor to support one or more specific organizations today or for perpetuity.
- Donor-Advised Fund – a tax-advantaged, convenient way to organize your personal philanthropy or a corporate giving program. You can support your favorite charities at your convenience.
For Donors Who would like to Support Individuals
- Scholarship and Award Funds – Donors often want to support individual growth through educational opportunities or by recognition of success in a particular discipline. The Foundation is home to more than 45 of these funds, which in 2017 provided over $965,000 in awards to 177 North Carolina students.
For Nonprofit Organizations
- Agency Funds – Nonprofit organizations can establish funds at the Foundation with their operating reserves or endowments to access professional investment management and planned giving expertise.
How to Make a Gift
Often the greatest opportunities for giving occur when you are making other major business, personal and financial decisions – writing or revising a will, considering a sale of real estate or other major asset, planning for retirement, or receiving an inheritance. We can help you maximize these financial opportunities for yourself, your heirs, and the charitable causes you care about most.
Check: Make checks payable to Triangle Community Foundation and note the name of the fund you are donating to in the memo line. Mail your check to:
Triangle Community Foundation
PO Box 12729 Durham, NC 27709
Stock or Wire Transfer: Please notify us that the stock or wire transfer has been requested and provide the name of the donor, the name of the security, and the number of shares transferred. If you have any questions, please contact our Development staff at 919.474.4000. Direct your stock transfers to:
For credit to: 6112-2829
Triangle Community Foundation Account
Credit Card: You can donate gifts totaling more than $100 using our online donation feature to support certain funds at the Foundation. Please note that a nominal fee will be deducted to offset the transaction fees, but your entire donation is tax-deductible.
We can also accept gifts from an IRA rollover, closely held stock, partnership interests, real estate and certain items of tangible property. Contact our Development staff to learn more at 919.474.4000.
Become a Donor
You do not have to open a fund to donate to the Foundation. There are other ways to give back to the community by partnering with us, and fundholders are encouraged to take advantage of these opportunities as well.
Fund for the Triangle – We are dedicated to enhancing the lives of everyone in the Triangle, and one of the ways we are able to do that is by focusing direct funding, research, and convenings in four areas: the arts, community development, the environment and youth literacy. We strongly believe that by making an impact in these four areas, we can change the face of the future. But we can’t do it alone, learn more about our community and the Fund for the Triangle here.
- Consider supporting our timely Giving Together initiatives, and co-invest with the Foundation and fellow fundholders to make an impact on critical needs as they arise.
Plan for Tomorrow – Make an impact beyond your lifetime. Many of the donors in our Hitchings Legacy Society plan to leave all or a portion of their estates to Triangle Community Foundation. Our staff has the resources to help you with your family and legacy planning, so that your giving stretches far beyond your lifetime.
- Donate now – Make a one-time donation to the fund of your choice, support the Fund for the Triangle, join a Giving Circle, Send a Kid to Camp, or become a Community Investor, and give back to our community.